MARINE CORPS TM 6115-34/8
MAINTENANCE OF LUBRICATION SYSTEM
7-1. PURPOSE AND FUNCTION OF LUBRI-
(3) Remove and discard tab washer
7-1) consists of a
oil filter, pressure relief
low pressure switch, oil pump,
(4) Screw 10-32 bolt into top of
oil cooler and the con-
oil pressure relief valve (3).
neting lines and fittings. Component
valve out of gearbox.
locations are shown in figure 7-2. The
function of the lubrication system is
to lubricate the engine bearings and
(5) Remove preformed packing (4)
the bearings and gears located inside
and (5) from valve.
Lubricating oil is drawn
from the gearbox reservoir by the oil
pump. The oil passes through the reser-
voir strainer, the oil pump, past the
pressure relief valve to the filter.
The oil is filtered then pumped onward
where part of it is used to lubricate
(1) Install new preformed packing
the engine bearings and the gearbox
(4) and (5) on pressure relief valve
components and part of it is diverted
through the oil cooler and back into
After lubricating the
(2) Press on outer rim of valve;
through the rear bearing scavenge line
install valve in gearbox.
and is returned to the reservoir. Oil
used to lubricate the internal gearbox
(3) Install new tab washer (2).
components drains directly to the res-
(4) Install spring clip (1).
(5) Bend tab of tab washer up and
7-2. OIL PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE.
over spring clip.
Testing of the oil
(6) Install engine housing access
pressure relief valve (figure 7-3) is
normally accomplished during the test
Refer to the engine test
cell procedures, paragraph 13-8.
(1) Loosen turnlock fasteners and
remove engine housing access cover.
(2) Bend back tab on tab washer
(2) and remove spring clip (1).