BATTERY CABLE ASSEMBLY. (cont)
(3) Strip 3/4 inch (1.91 cm) insulation from
(4) Install new terminal lugs on cable ends
and crimp securely in place.
(5) Install shrink tube on cables. Mark
polarity on both ends of each cable.
(1) Place terminal lugs on mounting studs
(21). Secure with Iockwashers (20) and nuts (19).
Torque to 5-10 ft lb (6.8-13.6 Nm).
W A R N I NG
(2) Place two halves of case (17) together
and secure with screws (18).
(3) Install connector adapter (16) and knob
(15) in case. Secure with screw (14).
(4) Pass battery cable (11) through bottom
of output/slave housing (13).
(5) Install slave receptacle leads (10) and
battery leads (11) on feed through terminals (12).
Secure leads with washer (9) and nut (8). Torque nut
on 3/8 inch stud 200-275 inch pounds (22.6-31.1
Nm). Torque nut on 1/2 inch stud 500-650 inch
pounds (56.5-73.4 Nm).
(6) Install loop clamps (7) and secure with
washers (5), and screws (4), and nuts (6). Torque to
36-40 inch pounds (4-4.5 Nm).
(7) Install output/slave housing access
cover (3) and secure with washers (2) and screws (1).
Torque to 24-36 inch pounds (2.7-4 Nm).
(8) Connect battery cable plug connector to
(9) Stow power cable on cable support
4-27. BATTERY. Maintenance of the battery con-
sists of test, servicing, and replacement.
(1) Remove power cable from cable
To prevent injury, do not smoke or use open
flame near battery. Spark or flame may cause
battery cells to explode.
(2) Use multimeter to check voltage
between positive ( + ) and negative (-) terminals. Nor-
mal voltage is 24 Vdc.
(3) Use hydrometer to check specific gravity
of electrolyte in each cell.
Correct the hydrometer reading to 80°F
(27°C) by adding 0.004 for each 10°F
(-5.5°C) that ambient temperature exceeds
80°F (27°C) or subtracting 0.004 for each
10°F (-5.5°C) that ambient temperature is
below 80°F (27°C).
(4) If, after correction, the specific gravity of
any cell measures below 1.270, the battery should be
charged. If any cell cannot be charged (Para 4.27.b
(2)) to a specific gravity of at least 1.270, the battery is
not acceptable and should be replaced.
4-68 Change 2