8-4. OVERHAUL OF TURBINE ASSEMBLY.
(17) On bottom of compressor inlet housing,
install oil supply fitting (13, Figure 8-5), fuel drain fitting
(14), oil drain fitting (15), and associated preformed
(18) Install retaining plate (12) and secure with
washers (11) and bolts (10) Torque to 20-25 inch pounds
(2-26-2.83 Nm) and lockwire
To ensure 50 lb of thrust, it is necessary to collapse the
wave washer to 0.090 inch (0.229 cm) against the outer
race of the bearing.
(19) Refer to Figure8-15. Measure and record
distance from A to B. Measure and record distance from
A to C. To obtain gap, subtract A to C distance from A to
B distance. Add the remainder from the calculation,
0.090 inch (0.229 cm), and the end play of the bearing
together to obtain gap to be filled. Measure height of
wave washer and subtract from gap. Add shims to wave
washer to fill gap
(20) Install shim set (28, Figure 8-6) to thick-
ness derived in step (17).
(21) Install wave washer (27).
(22) Install diffuser cap (26), key lockwashers
(25), and screws (24) Bend tabs on key lockwashers.
Torque to 70-80 inch pounds (7.91-9.04 Nm)
(23) Maintain clearance of 0.040-0.070 inch (0
122-0 178 cm) between backshroud and back of turbine
Generally, no shim is required. Clearance Is maintained
by machining of mating surfaces If necessary, shim to
(24) Ensure that matchmark are alined Secure
with antirotation pins (17).
(25) Wash down turbine wheel, labyrinth seal,
and bearing assembly with alcohol. Re-oil bearing with
(26) Carefully install assembled turbine wheel In
compressor inlet housing.
(27) Put turbine oil under retainer nut (15).
Install key washer (16) prior to installing bearing retainer
nut (40). Use fabricated tool (FT-21570, Figure 8-11)
with torque wrench and torque nut to 300 inch pounds
(33.90 Nm). Back off and retorque to 50 inch pounds (5
Change 4 8-37