(1) Install the grommet on the standpipe. Place the canister over the standpipe and press canister into the
grommet. Press the canister assembly over the outlet pipe until the grommet is seated to the shoulder of the inlet pipe.
The outlet pipe is the higher pipe of the two within the tank.
(2) Install the aluminum plug in one end of the filter element. Place the opposite end of the element over the
inlet pipe and press down until the bottom makes contact with the shoulder of the inlet pipe.
The bracket assembly is not intended to seat on the welded projections inside the housing. Do
not attempt to seat the bracket assembly to the projections as this will result in damage to the
(3) Position the bracket assembly over the projections inside of the tank. Install washers and screws.
(4) Insert the cover gasket in the groove of the cover.
(5) Center the cover over the tank.
(6) Raise the four bolts and rotate until the flanged portion of the bolt is over the cover. Tighten the nuts
f. Removal and Disassembly of Sight Gauge (fig. 4-18)
(1) Remove two screws and washers from sight gauge body.
(2) Remove sight gauge body and gasket from tank. Discard gasket.
As the sight gauge body is removed from the housing, it is possible for the float ball to be
dropped from the body and become lost.
Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Wash sight gauge ball and body in clean fuel.
(2) Check sight gauge body for cracks.
Reassembly and Installation.
(1) Be sure the sight gauge block on the side of the tank is clean and free of any deposits that might have
been left from the old gasket.
(2) Place two washers over screws. Insert in sight gauge body, place over screws and place ball in sight
(3) With the filter/separator in an upright position, position the sight gauge body on the tank making contact at
the bottom first to prevent the ball from falling out of the body. Tighten screws evenly.
Removal of Inlet and Outlet Valves (fig. 4-18).
(1) Disconnect the pump discharge hose from the camlock fitting on the inlet valve and insert dust plug to
prevent dust and foreign material from entering the valve body.
(2) Remove filter/separator discharge hose from outlet valve, place dust cap over fitting and engage
(3) With the skid firmly held down, select a wrench of the proper size to fit the octagon shoulder on the valves.
Turn the valves counterclockwise to remove them from the inlet and/or outlet tubes.
Installation of Inlet and Outlet Valves. Install inlet and outlet valves to tank outlet tubes in reverse order of
Disassembly of Inlet and Outlet Valves (fig. 4-19). The inlet and outlet valves are identical balltype valves
having a 90 degree rotation of the handle from the OFF to the ON positions. These valves are designed to permit
replacement of the ball and stem.
(1) Remove four bolts (1) and nuts (2), and remove the two pipe ends (3).
(2) Remove the two body seals (4) and two seats (5).
(3) Remove the ball (6) by tipping the bottom of the ball outward to disengage from the valve stem (7) and
permit removal from the body (8).
(4) To disassemble the valve stem, remove stem nut (9), handle (10) from valve stem, then remove retainer
(5) Lift off Bellville washers (12), stem seal follower (13) and stem seal (14).
(6) The valve stem can then be removed from the inside of the body. Thrust bearing (15) should come out
with the stem.
Cleaning, Inspection and Repair.
(1) Clean all parts by washing in clean fuel and inspect all components. If any of the seals are scored or torn,
(2) Inspect the ball and valve body for scoring. If either of these components are scored, replace the scored
(1) Place thrust bearing (15) on the valve stem and insert stem into valve body (8).
(2) Install the stem seal (14) and the stem seal follower (13).
(3) Install the Bellville washers (12) and retainer nut (11).
Tighten the retainer nut just enough to exert a slight compression on the stem seal.
(4) Install handle (10) and stem nut (9) and tighten nut. Check handle for freedom of movement.
(5) To reassemble the valve body, place the ball (6) into body (8) making certain the groove in