d. CAGEC (Column (4)). The commercial and government entity code is a 5-digit code which is used to identify the
manufacturer, distributor, or government agency/activity that supplies the item.
e. PART NUMBER (Column (5)). Indicates the primary number used by the manufacturer (individual, company,
firm, corporation, or Government activity), which controls the design and characteristics of the item by means of its
engineering drawings, specifications, standards, and inspection requirements to identify an item or range of items.
When you use a NSN to requisition an item, the item you receive may have a
different part number from the number listed.
f. DESCRIPTION AND USABLE ON CODE (UOC) (Column (6)). This column includes the following information:
(1) The Federal item name, and when required, a minimum description to identify the item.
(2) Part numbers of bulk materials are referenced in this column in the line item entry for the item to be
(3) Spare/repair parts that make up an assembled item may be referenced to an applicable figure within that line
item (HOUSING ASSY SEE FIG. 14 FOR BREAKDOWN), or indented and listed immediately following the assembled
item as the next line entry.
(4) The statement "END OF FIGURE" appears just below the last item description in column (6) for a given
figure in both Sections II and III.
g. QTY (Column (7)). The QTY (quantity per figure) column indicates the quantity of the item used in the breakout
shown on the illustration/figure, which is prepared for a functional group, subfunctional group, or an assembly. A "V"
appearing in this column instead of a quantity indicates that the quantity is variable and the quantity may vary from
application to application.
4. EXPLANATION OF INDEX FORMAT AND COLUMNS (SECTION IV).
a. National Stock Number (NSN) Index.
(1) STOCK NUMBER Column. This column lists the NSN in national item identification number (NIIN)
sequence. The NIIN consists of the last nine digits of the NSN.
When using this column to locate an item, ignore
the first four digits of the NSN. Use the
complete NSN (13 digits) when requisitioning
items by stock number.